Knowing how to maintain soft furniture is a must-have skill for anyone who wants a beautiful and tidy home. No matter how careful you are, your furniture is subject to wear and tear over time. Even if you have enough money to hire upholstery cleaners, you would need to do some of these cleaning techniques every now and then to keep your furnishings looking their best.
1. Before you do any cleaning, the number one step is to pop out the vacuum and start removing all the loose dust, dirt, and debris you can find. You might want to utilise the brush and crevice attachment to remove debris from the nooks and crannies of your soft furnishing.
2. Take out particles that can become mud-like in texture once you start doing spot cleans. This can penetrate up to the deepest parts of the fibre and leave blackish, grimy marks. When upholstery cleaners do it, they typically remove all the dry elements, like dust and hair, with a vacuum or a brush. Mildly brushing the surface can help pick up all the dirt off.
3. If you experience spills on your cushions, remember to never wipe it from point a to point b. Doing this runs the risk of putting the stains in more places than it originally is. The correct technique is to first use either a dry cloth or paper towels to siphon off the spilled liquid from the problem spot to keep it from spreading even further. This method is called blotting and should be done as soon as the spill is detected.
4. When using cleaning agents, it’s important to never soak the wiping material in the solution, but rather soak and wring it so it becomes sudsy or mildly damp. Then, start wiping it. You should always look at the manufacturer tags before starting work.
5. For spills on sensitive materials like silk or on antiques that can be easily damaged, you may want to hire upholstery cleaners after doing the blotting and basic maintenance.
Antiques are hard to take care of and pros undergo training specifically to maintain antique soft furnishings to make sure that they maintain their original beauty. You can visit the upholstery cleaning services page here for more information.